St Michael Churchyard, Trusham

P1080154

Trusham is the oldest of the Teign Valley churches. Along with seventy eight other Devon
churches it was listed by Bishop Osbern at the time of the Domesday survey in 1086, its
nearest neighbour on the list being Chudleigh.

The manor of Trusham was held at Domesday by Alwine, Abbot of Buckfast, and had belonged to the Abbey, being most likely one of those estates ‘booked’ to the church either by Athelstan or Canute. At this time there would have been a small rural chapel to serve the spiritual needs of the Abbey tenants.